Saturday, August 18, 2018

Investments Trades and Portfolio Update


Just another short post on where our portfolios are at, what investments/trades I've made and what stock lists I've compiled as prospective buys. I also do this as entertainment as I like to track the performance of Canadian Dividend and Growth stocks.

I last briefly updated my portfolio here.

I like to use Canadian Dividend Growth Stocks to build our retirement savings. I use Growth stocks with play money to trade in and out of to generate capital gains. I never mix the two strategies together. Here is how our current portfolios are doing;


My RRSP

BMO 25.8%
BNS 4.1%
BCE (4%)
CM 23%
CNR 5.8%
CP 2.3%
CSU 2%
ENB (7.4%)
FTS (1.8%)
RY 16.5%
TD 5%
TRP 6%
VFV 7.3%

Portfolio Value = $89,899.33

This portfolio currently yields 3.6%. This is a very low yield which tells me the PF is pretty safe with lots of room for growth. CNR, CP and CSU are very low yield stocks. This mix of stocks and 1 ETF allows me to sleep at night and it is predicted to generate $3,082 in dividend income during the next 12 months based on my portfolio size. I started investing in my RRSP late in life. We were busy living and paying off our house.

My Wife's RRSP

BCE (0.4%)
BIP.UN (1.5%)
BMO 2.5%
BNS 2.6%
CM 4.5%
CNR 5%
CP 7%
CU 1.6%
ENB 1%
FTS 3.3%
RY 2%
SJR.B flat
T 4%
TD 4%
TRP 1.5%
XAW 20%

Portfolio Value = $108,335.01

This portfolio currently yields 3.96% and will generate $3,718 in dividend income in the coming 12 month period. I recently converted a couch potato portfolio into this DG portfolio you see laid out here. This is why some of the percentage gains are low. It will be a nice compliment to my RRSP to supplement both of our indexed pensions.

My Wife's LRSP

MAW104 3.65%
RY 28%
FTS flat

Portfolio Value = $73,252.69

I am going to leave this PF of hers alone from now on. I want to use it as a comparison and see how it does growth wise to her DG portfolio. I will leave the 2 stocks alone and let them generate some small income and use any cash to buy more individual stocks. Currently there is $927 in cash and the PF is projected to generate only $358 in dividend income during the next 12 months. The stock positions are very small.


Trading Portfolio

130 shares CGX @ $30.92 = $4029.59 Book Value. Market Value =$4147.00
Profit = $117.41

75 shares OTEX @ $50.86 = $3824.39 Book Value. Market Value = $3801.75
Loss = $22.74

Cash Balance = $521.16

I'm just watching and waiting here to make some money. You now have a good idea how I am trying to build some wealth in all these separate accounts.

TFSAs we also have but dollar amounts are all in cash and very small at the moment so not worth mentioning. We are contributing monthly as cash becomes available. We are spending some good amounts of money travelling and having fun visiting the granddaughters. You have to have a life and money is just a small part of that. It is nice to be able to afford it.

What I'm Watching

I've dumped all the spec/gold watchlists. Too much volatility and I hate losing even 8% of my money on all these small trades. The following are all growth stocks I like and may buy in the future as trading stocks;

PLC, RBA, DSG, MTY, ATD-B, TOY, TC, DOL and SIS.

These are all solid businesses that generate good cash flow and make money. Whether you want to hold them or trade them is a personal decision. This list changes constantly so check back often for updates. I have owned MTY, TOY, DOL and ATD-B in the past.

I am really intrigued by funeral home operator PLC as they are growing and earnings per share continues to grow. I am concerned about their low ROE for a long term hold. We'll see going forward.


I NEVER USE MY RETIREMENT MONEY TO TRADE IN AND OUT OF 
STOCKS!




Investing and Saving Ideas You Can Use NOW!


If you are looking at ways to save money this new book The Cashflow Cookbook can help you find some savings to then use to invest.

If you are having trouble getting your financial house in order and organized then you need to read Worry Free Money. 

If you are further looking for portfolio ideas then you might find my review of The 6-Pack Portfolio a way for you to get started on your investing journey. All of our retirement money is invested in this manner. We just hold more than 6 positions.

All 3 of these books written for Canadians by Canadians.



No comments:

Post a Comment