Friday, August 31, 2018

Stock and Market Speculation 31 August

Just a short post on the last trading day of the month. Markets will be closed Monday for the Labour Day holiday.

Gold up, Oil down and Cannabis stocks rebound again.

NO trade deal so markets pulled back and my LNR that was up ever so slightly is now in the red 0.57%.

No worries as I think I'll stand pat unless it loses 8% and then it will trigger a SELL for me. I continue to believe in spite of all the threats coming are way that a deal will get done. It's just going to take time.

Nervous times ahead as the calendar turns to September which historically is the most rocky month for equity markets.

My gambling portfolio is up a total $109 and 0.7%.

Trevali was the winner on the day up 4%. The stock gained back a healthy 50% of what it lost yesterday, so on a down day it was great to see. CGX still ahead by 6.4% and I believe that company's worst day's are behind it.

OTEX still up a healthy 0.65% so I'm 2/4 winners on the week. You only have to be right one time to stay in the money when you construct stocks to buy and sell for capital gains.

I like all the stocks I bought and believe they all eventually have a chance to explode higher by year's end.


Recent August Purchase Updates

Constellation Software (CSU) purchased 7 August @ $926.95 as the stock had continued to fall after reaching new highs. It finished today @ $995.09. Up $3 on the day and up 7.3% on the trade. I like this stock long term and I'm super glad I bought a tech stock at a great price. I have no doubt this stock will get to it's highs and beyond.

Other Random Thoughts

I did think my rail stocks would have had a better bump up today, when in fact CNR was down. CP was up a couple bucks but both stocks have been on a tear lately. The pipeline news did not have the desired effect on these companies but still crude by rail seems to be the way of the future.

In the pipeline space I only hold ENB and TRP. Both down 1.3% today and have been reversing trend and moving down since the news broke Thursday on the court's decision to cancel the Transmountain pipeline. The feds are looking to appeal the decision to higher courts. These companies are not going away as they already own substantial pipeline capacity.

Weed Stocks

I'm really suffering from FOMO here. I may need to buy a pot stock next week. I really want to ride this wave into the October legalization date. I'm going to do some homework from the watchlist of stocks I've set up and make a decision on Monday on what to buy Tuesday.

For a short term trade I like ACB $8.80/52 week high of $15.20

This to me represents the best ratio at present of all the stocks out there. Yes most have pulled back from their highs but ACB still has a lot of room to grow. It's not making any money yet, no earnings to report so this is a short term shot at a speculation.

I can't very well call myself a speculator and not buy and sell a weed stock in the coming months.


I NEVER USE MY RETIREMENT MONEY TO TRADE IN AND OUT OF 

STOCKS!


Looking for Saving Ideas so You Can Invest? 


If you are looking at ways to save money this new book The Cashflow Cookbook can help you find some savings to then use to invest.

If you are having trouble getting your financial house in order and organized then you need to read Worry Free Money. 

If you are further looking for portfolio ideas then you might find my review of The 6-Pack Portfolio a way for you to get started on your investing journey. All of our retirement money is invested in this manner. We just hold more than 6 positions.



If you want to read more about the theory and methodology of some of Canada's professional investment/portfolio managers then you need to pick up a copy of the book 'Market Masters'. Robin Speziale conducts interviews based on a set of pre-arranged questions. This will give you a real insight into how others invest money and how they think. A must read!

Have a great day on the markets. What stocks did you buy or sell today?

No comments:

Post a Comment