Saturday, September 15, 2018

My Growth Stock Portfolio Update

Just a short post on how a lot of the growth stocks I've recently purchased have performed. I know short term performance means nothing in the long run but I keep all these stocks on a short leash.

I hold to my 7-8% loss rule to keep any potential losses small.


My Growth Stocks

ACB - 4.3%
ATD.B -0.89%
CSU - 0.73%
DOL - 12%
LNR - 4.8%
MTY - 3.7%
OTEX - 1%
QSR - 1.8%
TOY - 5.7%
TFII - 1%

All of these companies have been purchased in Aug/Sept. Just in the last 6 weeks so they are doing quite well. DOL has been hit hard after NOT meeting analysts expectations. Same store sales went down and the stock got punished by the market. I hold only 90 shares all in my RRSP. If I had more money I would buy more Dollarama. I consider it a quality company and a core holding. My average cost is $47.16, the stock closed today at $41.65. the stock has shed 15% in 2 trading days. 

My Thoughts On The Week

All the chatter and wailing on most discussion boards and social media platforms is about a stock market meltdown or recession. If you can't take the losses you have two choices. Sell everything and go to cash or ride it out when it happens.

I believe based on the strength in labour markets, low unemployment and strong earnings reports that we are not there yet. Oh sure the market will pull back no matter what you are holding. Bonds won't save you and neither will traditional diversification tactics. Stick with quality companies and hold. That's my plan because markets always recover and always rise more days than they fall.

The Week That Was

Another roller coaster ride that saw more big swings in the Pot stocks. My ACB was up as much as 6% Wednesday before swinging wildly to a loss by week's end. My position on LNR is starting to pullback as the market is now getting jittery again over NAFTA talks and more threats to trade with China. I've lost quite a few percent there. Spinmaster is roaring ahead and Restaurant Brands is really picking up some momentum. I'm 6/10 or 60% picking winners so far. That would make me a 'B' student.

Growth Stock Watchlist

I always like to keep a list of high quality growth companies in case I have enough cash to buy some. They include;

GIB-A, CFX, PLC, RBA, DSG, TC, SHOP, KXS, RCH, SIS, PBL and PHO.

In the US I like all the FAANG stocks plus BRK.B, GD and TSLA.

Summary

Canadians now owe $1.69 for every dollar they make. We are addicted to debt. Most Canadians have all their money tied up in a house. This is also known as the one asset strategy. No savings and no investments will lead to a bleak retirement. Diversify within companies and industries, buy what appreciates and lease or rent what depreciates. Collect assets and NOT debts. This is the currency of slaves.

 NEVER GAMBLE WITH MONEY YOU HAVE SAVED FOR RETIREMENT


Looking for Saving Ideas So You Can Invest? 


If you are looking at ways to save money this new book The Cashflow Cookbook can help you find some savings to then use to invest.

If you are having trouble getting your financial house in order and organized then you need to read Worry Free Money. 

If you are further looking for portfolio ideas then you might find my review of The 6-Pack Portfolio a way for you to get started on your investing journey. All of our retirement money is invested in this manner. We just hold more than 6 positions.

If you want to read more about the theory and methodology of some of Canada's professional investment/portfolio managers then you need to pick up a copy of the book 'Market Masters'. Robin Speziale conducts interviews with top money mangers in Canada using a set of pre-arranged questions. This will give you a real insight into how others invest money and how they think. A must read!

What growth stocks do you own and what would you buy?


No comments:

Post a Comment