Saturday, September 8, 2018

Stock Trades and Portfolio Stragglers 7 September

Just a short post on how the day went on the markets and how some of the trades I made during the week panned out.

I sold my entire 130 shares in CGX yesterday and the stock continued to sell off for the remainder of the day and fell a further 2.7% today. I saved myself $130 by selling when I did. Sold @$32.45, closed today @$31.46.

Trevali Mining was another good dump decision. It has fallen a further 4% since I sold it saving an additional $150 on the trade.

Sometimes you just get a feel that something isn't right. I have no idea what it is with CGX but it seems to have reversed trend. It could be that it went ex-dividend and this is just a short term blip. I just didn't want to further erode my small $176 gain.


Gambling Portfolio

ACB 9%, ATD.B 0.3%, LNR 4.6%, OTEX 0.8%, QSR 0.2%, TOY 0.35%

The portfolio is off in nominal terms by $569.00

I have $24,010.19 invested here including fees. I limit the size of my positions to 4K so I don't get burned too bad if things go sideways and as stated I have a 7-8% loss rule that I'm pretty strict with. I am holding ACB even though it's down 9% because during the day it recovered somewhat so it is more volatile. Of the $569 PF loss, ACB represents $365 of it. So, it's a big chunk. I believe it will recover and compared to the other cannabis stocks, it is cheap and on sale  right now.

My Other Growth Stock Plays

CSU 1.6%, DOL 1%, MTY 2.5%.

These are early days for these trades that's why the percentage gains/losses are so low. MTY had a great day today, it set a new 52 week high. I thought it was maybe a little too expensive when I bought it but the market seems to have loved it's new Sweet Frog acquisition. All these companies are safely tucked away in RRSPs and I will only add to them and hold for at least the next 10 years.

Portfolio Stragglers

Even in these retirement accounts some of these decisions leave you scratching your head. As an example I thought Shaw (SJR.B) would be a great add to the RRSP. It's down 8% already in just a couple months. Should I sell it. Will it come back? I only hold 200 shares and it pays a monthly dividend. If this keeps up it will take a year for the dividends to recoup the capital loss.

Enbridge 

just sucks ballz. It really does. I'm down 11% in one account and 3% in another. What you might consider value doesn't always represent that way. I thought it was a great buy again @$46.36 when I added it to my wife's portfolio. It has been a loser everytime I buy it. It along with TRP will continue to struggle until we get this pipeline controversy settled. Only in Canada, SHEESH!

BCE 

is down 6%. Another perennial TSX dog company. It's no wonder with all the negative talk and the whole country complaining of high prices, cord cutting and data charges. Should I even be invested in the telecom sector? Well I am for now in both RRSPs as it pays a 5.5% dividend. It's just an income stock now and perfect for income/retirement investors. I would love to see some capital growth someday like Rogers has been showing. I sold my Rogers last year thinking Bell was the better company.



I ONLY USE MY RETIREMENT MONEY TO BUY STOCKS. I VERY SELDOM SELL THEM UNLESS MANAGEMENT GETS STUPID!

Looking for Saving Ideas so You Can Invest? 


If you are looking at ways to save money this new book The Cashflow Cookbook can help you find some savings to then use to invest.

If you are having trouble getting your financial house in order and organized then you need to read Worry Free Money. 

If you are further looking for portfolio ideas then you might find my review of The 6-Pack Portfolio a way for you to get started on your investing journey. All of our retirement money is invested in this manner. We just hold more than 6 positions.



If you want to read more about the theory and methodology of some of Canada's professional investment/portfolio managers then you need to pick up a copy of the book 'Market Masters'. Robin Speziale conducts interviews with these top money mangers using a set of pre-arranged questions. This will give you a real insight into how others invest money and how they think. A must read!

What companies did you buy or sell today, if any?

Have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment