Tuesday, September 4, 2018

Stock Trading Tuesday and Portfolio Update 4 Sept.

As predicted last week, the first trading day of September proved to be a downer. With more threats from the US on the NAFTA negotiations and Trump boasting about not needing Canada to make a deal, our dollar sold off and so did markets.

I did find the time and money to make a couple buys for my short term gambling portfolio. Looking for more value I stepped in and bought QSR and ACB.

Here's how it went down;

BUY 55 shares QSR @ $74.45 = $4,094.75 + $9.99 trading fee = $4104.74

BUY 450 shares ACB @ $8.91 = $4,009.50 + $9.99 = $4,019.49

So why these stocks and why now?

Ever since my premature sale of Aphria I've been looking to establish a position in a Cannabis stock. ACB has been as high as $15.20. But look at what WEED.TO has done today, up an astonishing $7. It was way overvalued $20 ago according to every Bay Street expert on TV. As I've said tens of times, be a student of the market, look at the charts and fundamentals and ignore everyone else.

This is what the focus should be so that you are sure of your buying decision and you won't get shaken out of your position prematurely. Listening to professionals who get paid to generate fees for trading is NOT something you should act on.

Will ACB deliver these kinds of returns? I don't know, I might have bought the sector laggard. Time will prove me right or wrong.

QSR has been beaten down to a level where I find this company on sale. There is great consternation between the parent company RBI and some of it's franchisees. Everything from breach of code of conduct rules to complaints of exploding coffee pots that franchises are on the hook for. It has traded as high as $88.36. That is almost a 20% savings from it's high. This is a great time to buy, and I did. 


Gambling Portfolio (4 September)

ACB 0.50%
CGX 6.5%
LNR 3%
OTEX 1.8%
QSR 0.6%
TV 6.4%

It's not too often I buy stocks that finished the day higher than when I buy them. Well, today it happened with ACB and QSR.

Linamar (LNR) is suffering since the tweet storm against a new NAFTA deal including Canada. The last 2 trading days have taken it's toll on this trade. That makes the PF 3/3 since adding to it. 4/6 even pay dividends.

The stock giving me the most short term grief is TV. It is hovering around my 8% loss rule. Because it is a penny stock, I may raise my SELL ceiling to 10%. This of course will depend on how my emotions get to me and if I can control them.

On a day when all the markets are selling off, including gold and oil and the fear trade and risk appetites are low, 4/6 of my stock picks are finishing higher on the trading day.

On Wednesday talks are set to resume on NAFTA. If we get some positive news on that front, I truly believe LNR will explode higher. If not, I will be selling on Friday as it will continue to trend down. I will look for other opportunities with my money.

Sellers Remorse

One reason I write a blog is so I have a record of my investments and keep a log of what I was thinking at the time.

I sold 300 shares of APH @ $11.66 on 14 June 2018.

Closed today @ $18.44

Money left on the table = $2,034

That is just in a little over 2 months. That's a nice trip to the Caribbean or wherever you want to treat yourself. This is what I look for in all the picks I make. Just hit a few singles and let your batting average slowly climb.

I truly believe with the stocks bought today and held for a few weeks have the potential to deliver the same types of gains.


Sellers Surprise

Just for balance I want to highlight a stock I sold afte. Ther triggering my 8% loss rule and how much more money I saved by selling it at the right time when I did. The company just released news that it's mining license has been suspended by the government of Guatemala.

I sold 600 shares of Tahoe Resources (THO) @$6.67 on 14 June.

Closed today @$3.61

Money saved by selling = $1,836

You have to watch commodity stocks like a hawk because you can lose 20% in a day. I hope that didn't happen to many retail investors today.


I NEVER USE MY RETIREMENT MONEY TO TRADE IN AND OUT OF 
STOCKS!

Looking for Saving Ideas so You Can Invest? 


If you are looking at ways to save money this new book The Cashflow Cookbook can help you find some savings to then use to invest.

If you are having trouble getting your financial house in order and organized then you need to read Worry Free Money. 

If you are further looking for portfolio ideas then you might find my review of The 6-Pack Portfolio a way for you to get started on your investing journey. All of our retirement money is invested in this manner. We just hold more than 6 positions.

If you want to read more about the theory and methodology of some of Canada's professional investment/portfolio managers then you need to pick up a copy of the book 'Market Masters'. Robin Speziale conducts interviews based on a set of pre-arranged questions. This will give you a real insight into how others invest money and how they think. A must read!

What stocks did you buy or sell today, if any?

No comments:

Post a Comment