Wednesday, December 12, 2018

Baby It's Hot Inside


Just a short post on my general feelings about what's been happening on the markets and inside my own portfolio.

It's been a crazy month and a half on the markets. Portfolios are melting everywhere and no matter where and what you're invested in.

So what to do? Forget focusing on the markets. Huh? But I like to look every day for deals and then buy stocks when they go on sale. Yes but just focus on quality big stable dividend growth companies and buy them when you can afford to.

Just simply watching what the markets are doing sucks you into believing in efficient market theory. When you do that you'll sell your stocks and buy bonds or worse yet prefered shares. Maybe you'll just believe the new hype that CASH is an investment and sit there. Maybe you'll believe in balance and diversification and load up on ETFs and or MFs.

The longer you hold stocks in stable companies the SAFER they become!

Bonds and cash won't save you from anything. The goal is to grow your money and not get scared out of your positions.

What's really been pissing me off lately on all the discussion forums and financial blogs is the day to day calling of bottoms. You constantly are subjected to "this is a great buying opportunity, OR "I believe it's safe to jump in here".

Nobody knows anything definitive and NEVER take advice from ghosts on the internet including me. I'm just telling you what I'm doing and how I'm living.

I have a different perspective because I'm retired and use dividend income to supplement my retirement. I'm actually doing it NOT just writing about it or even worse yet posting endless useless content about monthly dividend income. Why post that without total portfolio growth? I have better things to do.


Are you Selling?

Bad idea if you ask me. You should only sell if you need the money or sell on up days to rid yourself of some bad mistakes. Lately all the days have been down. You can thank Brexit, Trump, China and Central Bankers. There's always something s f*ck IT! Never act on it.

Own quality companies and hold long term. My Costco shares are thriving even while the markets are tanking. Why? Because Costco doesn't give two fucks about what the markets are doing and neither should you. People will continue to shop and spend because of the experience. I will die holding my Costco shares. There are many companies out there that fit this criteria.

The odds are always in the favour of those who invest for the long term. The market goes up 78% of the time decade after decade.

There have been some great buys in 2018 and NOT a time to panic.

My Final Take

No crypto and NO weed. Stay the course and stay invested. Ignore the fear mongers, they're everywhere. Just wait it out. If in doubt then don't even get started just sit there.


NEVER GAMBLE WITH MONEY YOU HAVE SAVED FOR RETIREMENT!


Looking for Saving Ideas So You Can Invest? 


If you are looking at ways to save money this new book The Cashflow Cookbook can help you find some savings to then use to invest.


If you are having trouble getting your financial house in order and organized then you need to read Worry Free Money. 


If you are further looking for portfolio ideas then you might find my review of The 6-Pack Portfolio a way for you to get started on your investing journey. All of our retirement money is invested in this manner. We just hold more than 6 positions.



If you want to read more about the theory and methodology of some of Canada's professional investment/portfolio managers then you need to pick up a copy of the book 'Market Masters'. Robin Speziale conducts interviews with top money mangers in Canada using a set of pre-arranged questions. This will give you a real insight into how others invest money and how they think. A must read!

I never invest in the stock market, I like to buy quality companies and hold for the long term. Stocks become safer the longer you hold them. I believe Costco is one of those companies you should buy and hold. My opinion and not advice for you to do the same. 

New Book and Recommended Reading

This is the second edition of Robin Speziale's book 'Capital Compounders'. I have just received a review e-book version that I am currently reading and will have a review posted here and on Amazon in the coming weeks.

Robin invests in growth stocks and is the best selling author of 'Market Masters'

Robin has been saving, investing, and building his portfolio since the age of 18. Now, 10 years later, at the age of 28, he’s amassed a $225,000 stock portfolio. He lives in Toronto.


Besides following his blog he has a Capital Compounders Facebook Page well worth joining for learning where to better invest your capital.



No comments:

Post a Comment