Saturday, March 30, 2019

Portfolio Check Up Q1 2019



I don't usually post short term portfolio results but it seems to be all the rage with the blogger community these days. That and those monthly dividend income reports. Maybe I'll become that guy too.

It's just a short post based on first quarter results and returns.

It was the worst quarter that turned into the best quarter. That's how markets work and always will. You only lose when you sell. 

Dow up 11%
S&P up 13%
TSX up 11.6%

As you can see major markets were on a tear in Q1 2019 after just a brutal 2018 when we all lost money. The greatest returns in history always follow a bust. December 2018 was a massacre. I hope you stayed invested for the gains in January.

Collectively my PF was up 14.2%. Those are Nasdaq like numbers almost. That index returned 16.5%.

During the quarter I sold my Facebook and Constellation Software stocks. Why? Not generating any income. I sold them for small gains and bought trading positions in Encana and Green Organic Dutchman.

I harvested $2.358.13 in dividends during the quarter. This is low because not all my stocks are generating income.

I will be looking at selling my positions in Amazon, Berkshire Hathaway 'B' and MTY Food Group.

Stocks on my buy list generating income include; CNQ, CM and BNS.

This will bump up my monthly dividend income in a big way once that $20K is put to work.

I will also be waiting and watching the market to sell my 2 trading stocks mentioned earlier.

It was a great quarter across all accounts which I doubt will be repeated in the months ahead. It is time to go to 100% dividend stocks and dump those growth names to prepare for the upcoming recession that my never come, but who knows.

I'm in the middle of reading a great little book on growing income in your portfolio. Book review to follow but if your interested here's a link.




How did you do this quarter?

No comments:

Post a Comment