Wednesday, January 22, 2020

My Dividend Portfolio Performance 2019



Just a short post on how my all stock 100% Canadian Bacon Portfolios did in 2019. Yuck! I even hate bacon but I don't hate these portfolios. I did add some U.S. stocks for 2020 so I won't be using that name again.


LIRA

Starting Balance - $65,054
Closing Balance 31 Dec 2019 - 85,222.04

Up 31%

Dividend Income = $3,163
Portfolio Yield - 4.8%

The PF holds 11 stocks and as of last week 1 U.S. Bank ETF; BMO, BNS, CNR, CP, CU, EMA, ENB, FTS, RY, TRP, TD and ZBK.

ZBK was a new purchase on 21 Jan 2020. Very small position with some dividend income accumulating in the account. This is my wife's main retirement account to supplement her pension income. She has another 13 years before we need to RRIF this account. It should do quite well.



Her RRSP

Starting Balance - $98,911
Closing Balance 31 Dec 2019 - 117,815

Up 19.1%

Dividend Income = $5,082
Portfolio Yield - 4.3%

The PF holds 16 stocks; AAPL, BCE, BIP.UN, BMO, BNS, CM, CNR, CP, CU, EMA, ENB, FB, FTS, RY, TRP, and TD. 

Apple and Facebook were new buys on 17 Jan. I wanted a little more growth for her as she has generous pensions and lots of time on her side. These were very small positions so we won't get killed in the long term. That's what this money is for.

My RRSP

Starting Balance - $83,277
Closing Balance 31 Dec 2019 - 98,726

Up 18.7%

Dividend Income = $3,912
Portfolio Yield - 3.75 %

The PF holds 14 stocks; AAPL, COST, MSFT, BCE, BMO, BNS, CM, CNR, CP,  ENB, FTS, RY, TRP, and TD. 

AAPL and MSFT recent buys.
I need to up my dividend game for my PF this year. Safe growing yield but missing CU and EMA which the other portfolios have.

My Final Thoughts

Stock Markets boomed in 2019.

TSX up 19% biggest gain since 2009
S&P 500 up 29% best since 2013
Dow up 22.3% best since 2017

In comparison percentage wise I'm happy. I get all that income to redeploy into adding to those dividend payers.

I don't buy broad market index funds because I don't reap the full dividend income and in Canada too many shitty companies in our index. This is what I do.

To help you filter out stocks to retirement on Henry Mah has written a great book that I have previously reviewed. It's called;

Your Ever Growing Income


I think you can get a lot out of Henry's strategy. Written for Canadians by a Canadian.

I will be adding to my pipelines, specifically IPL and PPL. Banks are cheap and utilities while expensive are a great stabilizer in lieu of bonds which I don't own.

Inflation is running at 2% while a ten year bond in Canada yields 1.53%
Why would you even consider doing that? You are falling way behind the cost of living. Keep growing that income by buying quality dividend growth stocks.

Fun fact: CIBC is Canada's highest yielding bank @ 5.2%
It has been the worst performer in 2018 and 2019. That's why I'll be buying more in 2020.


How did you do in 2019?


Income Investing and My Retirement Strategy



No comments:

Post a Comment