Friday, December 18, 2020

Nibbling on Yield Stocks


One doesn't get a chance to buy stocks at bargain prices very often so is this such a time?

Dunno.

I just like to buy when I have the money. Another area which differentiates me from a lot of others is that I'm buying dividend growth stocks with at least a 10 year record of increasing that dividend yield. I hunt for that yield to help supplement my pension income.

Nothing else really matters.

CIBC is one of the worst performers of Canada's big banks for the last 2 years. It closed yesterday at $103.75. That's a lot of money per share so most investors shy away.

It has a dividend yield of 5.6%

It's 10 year average yield is 4.1%

If we compare that to a utility darling like Emera where investors seem to be flocking to in droves these days we'll find a startling difference.

EMA yields 4.1% today.

It's 10 year average yield is 4.4%

Yes it's yielding less than it did in 2010.

Yield Buys

Hard assets like pipelines in my opinion will do well going forward. I recently purchased PPL Pembina Pipeline and it's 7.9% yield.

I'm already up 18% since purchase and added $504 to my yearly dividend income.

Should you buy it? Dunno

This is a new position to my other pipeline stocks TRP and ENB. I like them for the yield and to carry oil and nat gas as the economy can't run without them at the moment and in my lifetime.

BCE

Yup added more Ma Bell. 6% yield

Why wouldn't you buy or own this stock? Are people not shopping more online? Using more data?

Of course we are and these steady yield payers like BCE are not going anywhere.

I buy these for the income. To build up my yearly stream of dividend income in retirement. If I lost half the value it doesn't matter as I'm buying income. This will only increase if the capital price erodes.

In the New Year I will be looking to add to my BNS, ENB, BMO  and CU positions. I believe their yield is still on sale.

If you want to learn more about buying stocks to generate income then you need to buy;



2 comments:

  1. Yield is my key measurement tool as well. Good article.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Henry. That's all that matters to me and all that I focus on at the time being.

    ReplyDelete