Wednesday, July 18, 2018

Investing Regrets



We have all bought stocks and then sold them. Nothing earth shattering there. What is different is the reasons we sold them. Today's post I will attempt my own mea culpa on a lot of stocks I have sold and why I now regret those decisions. We can't change the past but only learn from our mistakes and not repeat them in the future.

I don't actually consider selling the following stocks mistakes it's just that I wanted to hold more dividend paying stocks instead of growth stocks that don't pay you anything until you sell them.

The problem with holding on to growth stocks is you have to sell the paper before you have money to retire and or live on. I decided to make the change to income stocks but man did I leave a lot of money on the table. It is fun to look back and see how things would have worked out and just how much money I left on the table.

BYD-UN 40%
EMP.A 33%
MTY 43%
OTEX 24%
QSR 11%
TOY 50%
GIB-A 41%
GSY 24%
HCG 115%

This represents in dollar terms a total of $20,400.

I do regret leaving so much money on the table. In hindsight I should have waited before dumping these stocks. I didn't need the money and the dividend paying stocks I bought will take a lot longer to surpass the gains I could have made.

However, now that it's over I am happy to have established positions in dividend growth stocks. They will continue to pay me through retirement and I will never have to be concerned about selling anything to help pay for expenses.

I believe having some low yielding growth stocks in your portfolio for younger people is a great strategy to follow. As a retiree, income is now king so I no longer bother.

What are your investing regrets?

No comments:

Post a Comment