Monday, May 27, 2019

Leave it Alone and it Will Grow


Most investors think that the more they play with their portfolio the more it will grow. I can tell you from someone who loves to frig around with that kind of stuff, it doesn't.

Your best results come when doing nothing. That's right nothing. Just leave it alone to work it's magic. Try not to fall for the day trading stuff and jumping in and out of the top picks you hear all the time.

Why sell your bank, utility, telecomm and pipeline stocks? Maybe the only reason is you need the money and that would be too bad as you probably have more problems than money.

I can see no other reason for liquidating a growing portfolio of dividend growth stocks.

With all the volatility in today's investing environment the best course of action is doing nothing.

The best time to buy any stock is when you have the money. Never try and time anything or beat yourself up about buying at the right time. Nobody knows anything about that. Buy when you have the money. It's as simple as that.

It might not be the right time to buy bank stocks but why would you sell your Canadian bank stocks. Just keep building them up.

I bought more TD, RY and BNS on Friday. I did sell my TFII to generate a higher dividend through the bank stocks.

I also had a position in US Steel (recent purchase) and I again sold it due to the trade war and underperformance. The only US stocks I own now are Costco and Amazon.

I'm done buying anything until Novemeber when everyone else is selling. I'll use whatever funds are in the account from generating dividends until then.

I feel more comfrortable holding more bank shares as they are under a short attack (apparently) and that is news you just shouldn't act on.

Waren Buffett calls it "benign neglect"'. That is the strategy to embrace to be a successful long term investor.

Just leave it alone and it will grow on it's own. Unlike other things in life that require more of yur attention. Now go hug your significant other.

No comments:

Post a Comment