Saturday, August 17, 2019

Swing Trading and Portfolio Update

Why bother with this type of trading? I guess I like to be contrary. I like the fact that oil and gas stocks here in Canada are being given away. When will you make money on them?

Just when you feel you've bought them at a good cheap price they all go lower.

I used to exclaim all the time that I would love love to buy Baytex Energy below $5. I did manage to buy it at $1.91. Guess what? You can now get it @ $1.75
It's beyond ridiculous.


My Portfolio

ATH 5%
BTE 8.6%
CPG 1.7%
ERF 4.8%
GPR 11.5%
TGOD flat
GUY 14%
LMC 11.2%

Just a terrible week as more bad news out of the weed sector caused me to give up all my gains before I could lock in profits. The week taught me that I need to take money off the table before the close and not wait for the next day. This was costly for TGOD. I ended up selling and buying back my position where I started a week ago.

My energy stocks all came roaring back but are still down a bit. Gold and silver selling and gaining based on what the President says and tweets. It really is hard to keep up.

All in I'm down 4.3% on the whole of my holdings. I've sold 6 stocks for a total gain of $242.13

I made money on TGOD and ASM. Lost on the other 4 trades I sold at a loss. As you can see, sell early, conserve your capital and you'll come out ahead. 

Swing trading is stressful and you have to be patient. Buy when they're down and starting a base. I like to watch the 21, 50 and 200 DMAs.

GPR looks like a mistake and ASM is starting to look like a buy again in the fall. I'll be watching.

I would also be down a further $3000 or 13.6% if I would NOT have sold
ASM, CLIQ, EFR, PEY and GUY when I did. This is the importance of money management

However, I am down on paper $1678.

I really hope that next week will not see this much whipsawing on the markets and oil starts to move on good news. We'll see.

This is pure gambling, take your money early and be patient. Good Luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment