Saturday, September 14, 2019

Generating Capital Gains



Just a quick hit post and to give you an update of what has been going on in my trading PF lately. I'm in Kelowna on holiday right now so that's why the delay in posting anything of relevance.


Current Holdings

ALO, ATH, ASM, BTE, BDI, CPG, ERF, GPR, GUY, LAC, TCW and WEF

Up $1450 on paper

Realized Gains = $1902

Transactions

Bought WEF Sep 11 - Lumber stocks have been hammered. The cure for low prices is low prices. I bought 3000 sh @ $1.30. I'm up 2% on the trade. I like the stock here and nobody is buying it. Perfect.

Bought LAC Sep 4 - As with Lumber stocks lithium has been lagging. I like this stock as a longer play on the electric car market. The price has really come off so I picked up a small position. Buy them when they're cheap. I bought 1000 sh @ $4.20. Up 13.5% on the trade.

SOLD LMC Sep 4 - Booked profits on Leagold Mining of $1650 on 2000 shares. I bought LMC on 29 July for $2.00

Bought TCW Sep 4 - Energy service stocks also getting crushed all year so I was watching for volume picking up in this sector. You could have your pick. I bought 4000 sh @ 0.97. So far up 21%

Bought BDI on 4 Sep - Another play on a pick up in the energy sector. Camp stocks like BDI hopefully rebound here. Bought 2500 sh @ $1.72. Up 6% on the trade.

Bought ALO 3 SEP - Gold stock laggard 4000 sh @ 0.96. So far a bad pick up. Down 4.5%

Bought ASM 27 August - bought back in after selling for a great profit on ASM. 5000 shares @ 0.89.Down 9%.

Sold TGOD 27 August - booked a $170 profit on 1500 shares sold at $3.18. I'm completely out of the weed sector ATM. The falling hasn't stopped but some trading opps lie ahead in this beaten down sector. The easy money has been made.

Final Thoughts

I bought back into some gold and silver stocks a little too soon so I was wrong there. GUY on paper is my big loser down 20% and has lagged the whole sector. GPR has also been a disappointment.

Paper gains mean shit. It means I got the buy right but still haven't made any money.

All told I'm up $3,400 in this account if I sold everything right now.. I won't but the point is even when I'm wrong on a stock doesn't mean you lose on the overall trading portfolio.

On paper I'm up 40% on CPG. This is helping carry the day. Should I sell and book profits.? We're getting close because all the experts are recommending energy stocks. That's usually a good time to sell. I'll see Monday.

It's been stressful visiting family and holding a lot of commodity positions that need constant monitoring. It's like puppy training. You take your eyes off for a few minutes and there's shit on the carpet.

Copper stocks starting to look interesting along with pot. Always look in the valley for opportunities. Never buy at the top of the mountain.

Just what I'm doing and not what you should do. This is a strategy to generate capital gains and have some fun money.

No comments:

Post a Comment