Saturday, November 16, 2019

Portfolio Update

It's been a couple months since I published an update on my trading activity and given you a portfolio update. As usual I will keep this short so here goes.


Current Holdings

ATE, ATH, ASM, BTE, BDI, BTR, CNL, FR, FVI, GSV, GPR, GUY, KL, NVO, POE, TOG, WDO and YGR.

I never invest more than $4K in any one position.

This is what I do with speculative money and NOT something I recommend for everyone. It is gut wrenching at times.

Only 8/18 positions are in the green. I was way too early making some of these bets. I will just ride it out until the spring and see what happens. I'm down 10% overall.

Stocks I've Sold Recently

In no particular order or timeframe they are;

ALO, ARG, ASM, BTE, CFW, CLIQ, CPG, EFR, ERF, GUY, LAC, LMC, MUX, NGD, NVA, PEY, TCW, TGOD and WEF.

Only 9/19 individual positions were sold at a profit but overall I'm in the green as profits realized outweighed losses incurred.

Only 2 stocks are currently higher than where I sold them telling me my timing on the sells was just about right. If the money is needed by all means go out and sell.

Instead of realizing a gain I would be down a further 18% if I hung on to these stocks.

I did trade in and out of ASM, BTE and GUY and decided to get back in. It was a mistake as they are all still down significantly.

There is no institutional interest in either pot or oil stocks here in Canada. Without it there is no upward momentum to trade these stocks and make money.

My gut feel told me this 2 months ago and so did the market but I thought they were good companies. Always look at the market and if there is enough upside momentum to make money on the stock.

Stocks like KL and WDO seem to be the gold standard inthe space right now. Once momentum improves these stocks should resume their upward trend. I am always looking to sell to lock in gains.

Retirement Stocks and Our Portfolios

Everything is just rocketing higher on a monthly basis. Dividends building slowly and I look to add to our current holdings always.

We own banks, utilities, pipelines and rails.

I don't rebalance or hold bonds, funds, ETFs or pref shares. 100% quality dividend paying growth stocks.

My wife's LIRA only contains;

BMO, BNS, CNR, CP, CU, EMA, ENB, FTS, RY, TRP and TD.

Just 11 stocks, that's it.

I do not believe in Modern Portfolio Theory and it's adherence to a 40% bond allocation in a so-called balanced portfolio.

The market is always correlated to the stock market. Bonds don't save you, quality companies will.

Our other portfolios mirror this LIRA. 

They continue to grow and pay dividends. I re-deploy money when it builds up into the account. Buy the biggest and the best.

I am looking to start positions in AQN, IPL and PPL when money becomes available.

Further Reading




No comments:

Post a Comment